The total cost to attend the Clarion West Six-Week Workshop is $4200; this covers tuition, room, and partial board. We strive to keep our tuition low, but the combination of tuition, leave from work, and travel to Seattle can be a substantial barrier for many aspiring writers. Scholarships, both full and partial, can make attendance at Clarion West possible for some our most important voices.
You can donate any amount today to the Clarion West General Scholarship Fund, which provides partial support to students in need:
Name an Annual Scholarship
Would you like to give a full or partial scholarship every year in your name, or to honor a loved one? Clarion West can assist you in setting up a named scholarship. Contact us at email@example.com to learn more. A full list of our annual scholarships can be found below.
Endow a Scholarship
If you are interested in providing help that will continue supporting students far into the future, consider setting up an endowment fund.Clarion West will use the periodic income from invested funds to provide annual scholarships. To learn more or discuss your options, please contact us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Contribute to one of these named scholarships
Blue Corn Creations Scholarship for Native American Students
With a gift of $1,000, Blue Corn Creations, a publishing firm undertaking a variety of Native American-themed projects, has launched a scholarship for writers of Native American descent at the Clarion West Writers Workshop.
The Blue Corn Creations Scholarship for students of Native descent will help cover tuition, fees, and lodging for one student in 2020.
Vonda N. McIntyre Memorial Scholarship
With a gift of $1,000, longtime Clarion West supporter Linda Deneroff has started a scholarship fund in memory of Vonda N. McIntyre. The fund will support Clarion West students beginning with the 2020 workshop. Supporting speculative fiction writers was very close to Vonda’s heart. She was one of the original founders of Clarion West, often visited the classroom as a Mystery Muse, and provided a place for students and other writers to stay when they visited Seattle. Linda hopes that her donation can be a stepping-stone toward a permanent scholarship in Vonda’s name, and that it encourages others to donate to the scholarship fund.
Thank you to our generous 2019 scholarship donors!
Full and partial scholarships are available from private donors in memory of the following honored individuals:
- Elliot Alexander Memorial Scholarship
- Michael Alexander Memorial Scholarship
- Elliot and Michael Alexander Memorial Scholarship
- Mark Bourne Memorial Scholarship
- Gordon R. Dickson Memorial Scholarship (supported by the Midwestern SF community)
- Susan C. Petrey Memorial Scholarship
- Vonda N. McIntyre Scholarship
Full and partial scholarships are generously supported by the following:
- Clarion West Alumni Fund
- Clarion West General Scholarship Fund
- The Poul and Karen Anderson Memorial International Travel Fund
In addition, the following full and partial scholarships are available to select students:
- The Octavia E. Butler Memorial Scholarship, which covers tuition and housing, is awarded by the Carl Brandon Society to a single student of color.
- The Worldbuilder Scholarship, which covers tuition and housing, is awarded by George R. R. Martin to a single student who demonstrates interest and skill at fantasy worldbuilding.