- Status: Part-time
- Location: Remote
- Reports to: Executive Director
- Salary: $25-28/hour, commensurate with experience
About Clarion West
Clarion West is a 501(c)(3) non-profit speculative fiction writers organization focused on helping writers become successful, fostering greater equity and inclusion in the speculative fiction world, and bringing writers and readers together. Clarion West is best known for our residential six-week workshop held every summer since 1984. We also host one-day, weekend, and online workshops year-round and events that bring writers and readers together.
We support emerging and underrepresented voices by providing writers with world-class instruction to empower their creation of wild and amazing worlds. Through conversation and public engagement, we bring those voices to an ever-expanding community.
Although there are fine science fiction and fantasy writers of all ethnicities, races, and genders, historically the field has reflected the same prejudices found in the culture around it, leading to proportionately fewer successful women and LGBTQIA+ writers, writers of color, and writers from marginalized backgrounds. We believe that these communities must be centered in the work we do. Hence, we encourage applications from people with these identities or who are members of other marginalized communities.
The Communications Specialist position is an excellent opportunity for an individual with strong skills in writing, editing, and content strategy to support a variety of projects at Clarion West. This position will work collaboratively with a close-knit team to develop content for a variety of platforms, predominantly digital, and help raise awareness of Clarion West’s programs for writers, our larger community, and our donors. The organization is growing and the right candidate can grow with us.
This is a remote, part-time position and reports to the Executive Director, working closely with the entire team. Hours are flexible and anticipated for up to 60 hours per month. The starting range is $25-28 per hour, commensurate with experience.
Clarion West is seeking someone to help update and maintains our brand continuity and stylistic standards across a variety of platforms and assets (including both print and digital); update content and/or assist and facilitate timelines for others to do so; plan and manage the communications schedule year-round; and coordinate with staff, board members, and contractors to complete the plan.
The position also writes or coordinates with other team members to write communications pieces, edits, and produces content for communications, including fact sheets, articles, annual reports, marketing brochures, advertisements, email marketing, presentations, website, and social media.
Manages assigned communications and digital projects or tasks from start to finish including marketing campaigns, and outreach and fundraising campaigns.
Offers creative ideas and contributes to group brainstorming and critical thinking sessions.
Attributes for Success
- Strong writing skills, attention to detail, and ability to edit others works/self-edit;
- Practices ownership of workload and can balance high-level work with urgent requests and deadlines, with ability to respond to changing priorities effectively and efficiently;
- Has or can learn up-to-date knowledge of communications trends, standards, and tools. Understanding of SEO, keyword research, and best practices in web content development is a plus;
- A self-starter and quick learner who is willing to work with others in a collaborative environment will be key to a successful candidate;
Clarion West is willing to train the right person for this role, however 2-3 years of experience in a nonprofit communications program is a plus.
- Coordinate the annual communications and marketing calendar with all staff, ensuring that our social media outlets have consistent and relevant updates, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and LinkedIn;
- Regularly update Clarion West’s website with relevant content and work closely with Webmaster to ensure functionality and timely integrations;
- Produce Clarion West’s monthly e-newsletter, i.e., gather/write content for articles, edit/proof submissions, include graphics/photos and calendar updates;
- Coordinate between staff and copywriters and graphic artists to produce online ads, social media banners, email templates, flyers/posters, print newsletters, and annual appeals;
- Coordinate photo opportunities with photographers and staff, including staying updated on names, pronouns, and permission to use likeness;
- Maintain communications, updates, and information about alumni success and publications;
- Manage Bookshop.org listing and any additional sales content on other sites;
- Oversee brand across multiple platforms;
- Other tasks, as they arise.
- A solid understanding of the latest communications & marketing trends, tools, and techniques.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Must have a passion for communications and marketing.
- Outstanding organizational abilities.
- Demonstrated empathy and ability to exercise discretion and judgement for working with diverse groups, both externally and internally within the organization required.
Additional Qualities & Experience
Clarion West will consider applicants who do not meet all criteria but are willing to build in training and are a good fit for our organization.
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Ability to interact effectively with people from diverse backgrounds
- Strong record-keeping skills and basic writing skills
- Proficiency in the following: Microsoft Office Suite, G-Suite, WordPress, Zoom
- Familiarity with CRM software, team management software, and similar resources preferred
- Background or interest in speculative fiction a plus
- Must be eligible to work in the United States
- Understands and accepts other points of view and recognizes the value of different approaches
- An undergraduate degree in communications, journalism, English, marketing, or similar field or equivalent experience preferred. Applicants who are currently working on a degree are welcome to apply.
- Demonstrated experience/success in marketing and communications.
Physical Factors/Working Conditions
- This is a part-time position
- Involves non-regular hours
To be considered for this opportunity, submit a letter of interest outlining your qualifications for the position and a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your cover letter and resume as PDF attachments to your email and list the position title in the subject line of the email.
Benefit package includes:
- Sick leave and paid time off after the first three months.
- This position qualifies for our healthcare reimbursement plan.
Open until filled
Clarion West is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified persons will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, or other non-related work factor as protected by law.