Job Title: Program and Communication Assistant
Status: Part-time (hourly, non-exempt, 60 hours per month)
The Program and Communication Assistant is a part-time position providing support to team members working on online classes and organization-wide communications. This position involves specific administrative tasks, staffing online classes, assisting the workshop team with online workshop coordination, and working closely with the communications team on the overall schedule for Clarion West communications year-round.
About Clarion West
Clarion West is a 501(c)(3) non-profit speculative fiction writers organization focused on helping writers become successful, fostering greater equity and inclusion in the speculative fiction world, and bringing writers and readers together. Clarion West is best known for our residential six-week workshop held every summer consecutively since 1984. We also host one-day, weekend, and online workshops year-round and events that bring writers and readers together.
Mission: We support emerging and underrepresented voices by providing writers with world-class instruction to empower their creation of wild and amazing worlds. Through conversation and public engagement, we bring those voices to an ever-expanding community.
Although there are fine science fiction and fantasy writers of all ethnicities, races, and genders, historically the field has reflected the same prejudices found in the culture around it, leading to proportionately fewer successful women and LGBTQIA+ writers, writers of color, and writers from marginalized backgrounds. We believe that these communities must be centered in the work we do. Hence, we encourage applications from people with these identities or who are members of other marginalized communities.
We are willing to train the right candidate. Must be able to work unsupervised, however our team works closely together on all projects. Hours are flexible.
- Assist with calendaring for staff meetings and filling in team management software.
- Assist with calendar and coordination of communications materials, including follow-up with key staff and communicating timelines effectively.
- Update website templates and text according to style guidelines on a weekly/monthly basis.
- Follow plans Clarion West’s social media plan by making scheduling posts and answering messages.
- Coordinate content for monthly Enewsletters (once per month) and eblasts as necessary.
- Coordinate volunteer copyeditors, copywriters, and social media posters for various projects and maintain Clarion West’s Style Guide.
- Assist Workshop staff in entering and updating class information for registration.
- Assist with workshop and class staffing load for online classes in Zoom. Email information to instructors prior to classes and provide Zoom assistance to students.
- Perform other duties or special projects as needed.
Qualifications and Competencies:
- High school diploma/GED required.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to interact effectively with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Proficient in the following required: Microsoft Office Suite, G-Suite, WordPress, Zoom.
- Comfort with a variety of social media platforms, background in social media posting at a professional level preferred.
- Must be eligible to work in the United States.
- Understands and accepts other points of view and recognizes the value of different approaches.
Physical Factors/Working Conditions
- This is a part-time, remote position.
- Involves flexible hours, some classes and meetings may be held during non-regular hours.
To be considered for this opportunity, submit a letter of interest outlining your qualifications for the position and a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your cover letter and resume as PDF attachments to your email and list the position title in the subject line of the email.
Compensation and Benefits
This position is a part-time hourly position, averaging 60 hours per month. Compensation is $20-22/hour, depending on experience. Benefit package includes: sick leave and paid time off after the first three months. Clarion West is growing and this position has room to grow with us.
Open until filled. Initial review beginning December 19, 2020.
Clarion West is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified persons will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, or other non-related work factor as protected by law.