At Clarion West, we realize that the cost of classes and workshops, travel, and time away can be a barrier to attending our programs. To reduce some of these barriers, we are committed to providing scholarships covering full and partial tuition to our residential workshops; discounts to reduce the cost of online classes; free events and programs for our community; and free seats in online classes for PGM/BIPOC writers.
Free Community Events and Programs
Throughout the year, Clarion West is pleased to host a variety of author events, readings, and panels for the general public. These events are hosted both in-person and online. Each year, hundreds of people from all walks of life attend our public events.
Reduced Rates for Online Classes and Workshops
We believe that our writing classes and workshops should be available and accessible to all who want to participate. Towards that core belief, Clarion West is introducing a Helping Hand Discount for our online classes and workshops.
The Supporting Tuition rate enables us to continue to pay our staff and instructors equitably, as well as support access to classes for others who may be in a different financial situation.
The Helping Hands rate is available to folks under more limited economic circumstances, regardless of background.
Use the Helping Hands rate if you identify as a Person of the Global Majority (PGM)/BIPOC writer (Black, Indigenous, and/or a Person of Color); LGBTQIA+; if you have a disability; and/or if some or all of the following statements apply to you:
- I frequently stress about meeting my basic needs (food, housing, medical care).
- I have debt that prevents me from meeting my basic needs.
- I have no money in savings and/or retirement.
- I have no access to credit or only to credit with high interest rates or fees.
- I rely on public transportation.
- I am unemployed, underemployed, or don’t have regular paychecks.
- I don’t have access to affordable healthcare or health insurance.
- I can’t afford to take time off, go on vacation, or enjoy life’s pleasures without threatening my ability to meet my basic needs.
Full and Partial Tuition Scholarships for the Six-Week Workshop
Attending the Six-Week Workshop includes expenses for tuition, housing, food, travel, and other potential living expenses, such as childcare while you’re away from home, books recommended to you in the workshop, and transportation to and around Seattle. Some scholarships cover full housing and tuition, while others cover a portion of the cost. In recent years, additional travel scholarships have been provided. Historically, every student who has requested financial aid has received some amount of scholarship assistance.