Do you believe that stories are important? Do you want to work with a diverse and passionate team to bring emerging writers to the field of speculative fiction? Do you want to support more writers of color and from traditionally underrepresented communities? Take a look at our open opportunities and see where your expertise can grow Clarion West.
Clarion West is looking for a classroom assistant for this summer’s virtual workshop!
At this time this position is open only to alumni of Clarion West, Clarion, or Odyssey. We need someone who understands the workshop culture, is flexible, and can jump in to help with tasks as they arise. We are especially seeking BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, and people of color) workshop graduates for this role.
Main duties include:
- Weekly classroom time: this is the core of your position. You’ll choose two days of the week to regularly sit in the classroom, where you’ll pay attention to class dynamics and critique. If you notice microaggressions, inappropriate comments, dynamics shifting (cliques/”goating” behavior), please bring it to the attention of the workshop staff immediately.
- Supporting the workshop staff (Jae and Rashida) as needed.
- Availability for short weekly meetings with workshop staff during the six weeks (check-ins, sharing any updates or concerns regarding students, specific needs by week).
- Help wrangle the alumni muses and staff some alumni muse sessions.
- Be a presence in the student Discord (where appropriate). We don’t expect you to become a mentor to any of the students, or their therapist, but we encourage you to lend an ear if anyone feels more comfortable approaching you than staff or an instructor. Please use discretion to determine which issues need to be brought up immediately to staff.
Needed skills: detail-oriented, communicative, discreet, punctual, team-oriented
Hourly pay range of $22–25, 8–12 hrs/wk.
You must be available for paid training in advance of the six-week workshop.
This position may expand to involve some small pieces of Clarion West involvement with online workshops and outreach in the fall and winter, if you’re interested.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to indicate your interest, and let us know what particular skills and experience you would potentially bring to this position. (Please include a resume tailored to what you feel is most relevant!)
Application deadline: May 26
Clarion West is a nonprofit writing workshop with a very small staff. Every summer we seek alumni who can volunteer to help with our many summer events. In addition, we have a number of volunteer roles year-round.