Six-Week Workshop Facilitator
- Status: Part-time hire for 2022
- Location: Seattle, WA
- Reports to: Residential Workshop Coordinator
- Salary: $28-35/hour, commensurate with experience
About Clarion West
Clarion West is a 501(c)(3) non-profit speculative fiction writers organization focused on helping writers become successful, fostering greater equity and inclusion in the speculative fiction world, and bringing writers and readers together. Clarion West is best known for our residential six-week workshop held every summer consecutively since 1984. We also host one-day, weekend, and online workshops year-round and events that bring writers and readers together.
We support emerging and underrepresented voices by providing writers with world-class instruction to empower their creation of wild and amazing worlds. Through conversation and public engagement, we bring those voices to an ever-expanding community.
Although there are fine science fiction and fantasy writers of all ethnicities, races, and genders, historically the field has reflected the same prejudices found in the culture around it, leading to proportionately fewer successful women and LGBTQIA+ writers, writers of color, and writers from marginalized backgrounds. We believe that these communities must be centered in the work we do. Hence, we encourage applications from people with these identities or who are members of other marginalized communities.
The Workshop Facilitator provides leadership within the residential programs through workshop facilitation; engagement with instructors, participants, and staff; helps develop and plan all Clarion West critique-based workshops; helps to train staff and instructors; and helps update methods and materials. This position has a strong focus on excellence, equitable and inclusive practices, and establishing an inclusive workshopping culture within all Clarion West programs.
This is a part-time position for 2022 with the possibility of extension. The position will allow for a combination of remote and in-person job duties, variable work hours, and occasional evenings and weekends. The right person can be based outside of Seattle, but must be able to attend all in-person workshops as scheduled. The Workshop Facilitator reports to the Residential Workshop Coordinator.
Clarion West will not consider applicants for the 2022 Six-Week Workshop for this role at this time.
- Identify and introduce equitable and inclusive practices to Clarion West’s programs, specifically around Clarion West’s in-person workshops, applications, instructor selection and training, and critiquing methods.
- Develop and plan workshop methods appropriate for Clarion West’s programming (with an emphasis on the six-week summer workshop)
- Serve as a resource year-round for CW programs
- Plan and communicate with instructors to facilitate high-quality critique-based workshops
- Train and/or provide guidance on new training opportunities, reading materials, and best practices for instructors and staff in updated critique models
- Work closely with the workshop coordinator to plan communication with instructors, students, and other staff, including facilitation skills, training, and workshop methods.
- With the workshop team, help identify instructors for CW programming
- Review and assist the Residential Workshop Coordinator in ensuring best practices for student application language, website information pages, marketing language, program evaluation, and other aspects as needed.
Six-Week Workshop Facilitation
- Maintain and update workshop and critique descriptions sent to students and instructors
- Facilitate class from 9am to 12pm, five days a week, during the six-week workshop every summer from June-July
- Ensure the smooth implementation of new workshop methods
- Be a resource to students and instructors during the workshop
- Redirect instructors if needed (for example, if an instructor loses track of time)
- Be an ally to students, ensuring authors are able to lead their workshops and get what they need from the sessions
- Read student stories and be prepared to address potential sources of conflict
- Assist in mediating classroom disputes
- Have availability for one-on-one or small-group meetings with students during residential programs.
- Co-facilitate occasional small and large group learning opportunities with additional content as necessary with the instructors and/or workshop staff
- Review, help design, and assist in maintenance and administration of workshop data, surveys, evaluations, and related information helpful for the design and administration of the workshop
Additional Qualities & Experience
Clarion West will consider applicants who do not meet all criteria but are willing to build in training and are a good fit for our organization.
- Well-informed in educational/pedagogical fields as to updated practices, especially in relationship to creative writing, inclusive and welcoming classrooms, and alternative forms of critique workshops
- Feels comfortable stepping into a critique circle when needed to help diffuse a situation, or facilitate an important discussion.
- Knows when to step into a critique session to help the instructor.
- Flexible and adaptable, able to work with both students and instructors/staff
- Awareness of classroom dynamics, use of content notes, potential microaggressions
- Willingness to learn from the group/students
- Must be eligible to work in the United States
- Prior experience in facilitating workshops and working with diverse groups
- Background or interest in speculative fiction a plus
- Master’s Degree in English, Creative Writing, Humanities, or related strongly preferred
- Certificate or relevant experience in facilitation for diverse groups
- History of education/training in the areas of writing, critique programs, adult/continuing education programs
To be considered for this opportunity, submit a letter of interest outlining your qualifications for the position and a resume to email@example.com. Please include your cover letter and resume as PDF attachments to your email and list the position title in the subject line of the email.
Benefit package includes: sick leave and paid time off after the first three months.
Open until filled
This is a part-time position with variable hours between 5-15 hours per month January-May and August-December and 150-200 hours during the Six-Week Workshop between June-July.
Clarion West is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified persons will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, or other non-related work factor as protected by law.