Using Zoom for Clarion West Online Classes:
Zoom is a service you can download for free to participate in Clarion West’s online classes. Zoom software allows you to interact live with the instructor and your classmates via video and audio conferencing. You will need a computer with a camera and microphone built into it, or a webcam and headphones with a microphone.
If you don’t already have a Zoom account, sign up for free here.
What to do before your class:
- If you want a better sense of how to use Zoom, set up a call with a friend or family member to test it out and learn the features. In most Clarion West classes, you will want to mute and unmute yourself depending on whether you are actively speaking. It’s also useful to know how to turn your video on and off, how to “raise your hand,” etc. There is also a chat feature that can be useful for questions. An administrator may turn off your mic and camera if they are not needed for the class.
- Test your audio & video in advance. Please make sure your audio and video are connected and working beforehand! Keep in mind that if your video is on during class, anything visible will be on camera, so consider looking over your space before logging in. If you are joining on your phone, turn off all ringtones and text alerts so they don’t disrupt the class. Finally, if your environment has ambient noise (dogs barking, crying babies, car horns, etc.), consider turning off your mic when you are not speaking.
- Arrive on time (or even a few minutes early!). All Clarion West classes will start on time, so don’t miss out on the first few minutes. We want to be mindful of everyone’s time and not keep instructors waiting. It’s also a good idea to try to log in early in case you run into technical difficulties.
- What to do if you get an error message? If you get a message that there is another meeting in session, try logging in closer to class start time. If you have repeated difficulty logging in, contact email@example.com.
- What if you don’t know the Zoom invitation link? If you have not received or can not find your Zoom invitation link to your class, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org at least two hours before your class begins. If you registered through Eventbrite, your Zoom link should be located at the bottom of your confirmation email.
- Update your name. Your display name in Zoom should be what you want to be called in class! We encourage you to include your pronouns if you are comfortable doing so.
- Follow instructions about interacting in class. Some instructors will ask the class to join with their cameras and microphones on for the whole class, while others prefer that participants leave their cameras and mics off. You may be asked to hold questions until the end of class, or encouraged to enter questions and comments in the chat. Be respectful of the instructor’s wishes about how to interact during class. Unsolicited chatting can be disruptive and take the class off-topic. Most instructors will give time for Q&A at the end of class.
- Get ready to learn something awesome! Show up like you’re attending an in-person class — don’t wait until the event starts to get a drink or take a bio break. Have a notepad or your favorite notes app ready so that you can engage from the start. We hope you leave with some new ideas about your craft!
Notice of Filming and Photography: Clarion West online classes are recorded by the instructors’ permission. By entering the “event” (i.e., Zoom meeting room), you consent to such recording media and its release, publication, exhibition, or reproduction. If you would prefer not to appear, please let us know within 24 hours of a meeting.
It is NOT our regular policy to make recordings available after the class. If you are unable to attend a class you have registered for, you may be eligible for a refund. In order to process a refund, we must receive 48-hours’ notice and be able to fill the spot with a waitlisted student. Exceptions may be made given emergency circumstances at the administrator’s discretion.
If you have any questions, reach out to us at email@example.com. See you in class!